Thursday, June 16, 2011

To Blog or Not to Blog - 16 June 2011

To Blog or Not to Blog


The democratic nature of the internet is well-expressed through blogs. Ever since blogging came into fashion, I have admired bloggers for their initiative and courage, and for sharing valuable information and experience with readers. Such participation of ordinary people in the shaping of trends and opinions globally was still a dream a decade ago. Thanks to the internet, the dream is coming true.

Although I admired blogging, I was not enthusiastic about starting a blog myself initially – whether professional or personal. A professional blog would be time consuming – too much of an additional responsibility. It would require research, substantial investment of energy, and constant updates and follow-up. A personal blog would be – well – too personal; only extroverts would go for that kind of thing I thought, and I shrank from the idea. I do enjoy writing, however, so I finally started this blog: a record that is neither intended to be professional in the sense of a conventional “niche” blog nor strictly personal or diary-like, but rather a synthesis of the two extremes. I decided to focus it on my work and workplace in general rather than on anything else. Relatively unknown among colleagues despite decades spent at AUB, this could be a chance for me, I thought, to step outside the realm of anonymity. The text could also enlighten readers less experienced with AUB, and possibly provide a different angle on things to fellow old-timers.

As this blog evolves, it may drift from its initial purpose, but if it does, I hope it moves more in the professional direction rather than the personal direction. I also hope it becomes interactive, so please feel free to post your comments.

Finally, here’s a funny YouTube video on blogging: "To Blog or Not to Blog!!"


Posted by May Mikati on 16 June 2011, 9:52 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment