Monday, June 6, 2011

AUB Campus Parking - 06 June 2011

AUB Campus Parking


There isn’t much to be said really about parking on campus except that it’s been a controversial issue ever since I first heard about it in 1992 when I applied to park on campus. The November 1991 College Hall disaster was still fresh, and although all my colleagues were still parking inside the campus (outside Fisk Hall) back then, I was told that for security reasons everyone would be moved to the peripheral parking areas soon, and I was one of the first to have to park in the periphery. Only deans and chairs kept parking in the same old spots for a while after that. My fellow instructors resented having to park in the periphery, especially when years later the convenient peripheral lot behind Fisk was completely evacuated (also allegedly for security reasons), but with some exceptions of course. Many English Department faculty members were then asked to park in places such as the lower campus, and later an area closer to the Medical Center, now used for public parking.

In case you’re wondering why I walk up and down the campus stairs every day, peripheral parking is the answer – very peripheral in some cases! My colleagues prefer to park on or near Bliss Street – and those who live near by just walk.

A very new development is student parking on campus. Though expensive, the possibility now seems to exist in the Olayan School of Business. One wonders how many students are using the facility and how many waste time daily looking for a place to park outside. From what I’ve seen, parking is a nightmare for some students.


Posted on Monday, 06 June 2011, 3:16 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment