Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Flasback One: A Bumpy Start - 31 May 2011

Flasback One: A Bumpy Start

Back in 1991 when I became a full-timer at AUB, I received a memo inviting me to my first Arts and Sciences faculty meeting. My curiosity was fed with a confusing concoction of impressions.

The atmosphere at the meeting was somewhat informal, which I appreciated. On the other hand, something in the air didn't sink in very well. First of all, few of my English Department colleagues were present at the meeting; besides, it struck me that those general meetings were male-dominated back then. Secondly, all FAS departmental Chairs stood up and named all new faculty members, but my name was not mentioned although I was in physical proximity to the Chair at the time (whether that was a deliberate omission or not I honestly have no clue, but it definitely made an impression). And thirdly, an older faculty member from another department stood up and asked the dean defiantly, "Why are you terminating older, well qualified faculty members and bringing in these new hires? Is it because they're so cheap?"

Quite a start.


Posted by May Mikati on Tuesday, 31 May 2011, 10:09 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment